If a puppy has just become part of your family, you're probably wondering how to train him. Here at NATURAL TRAINER, we believe in the importance of creating a good relationship with our dogs from day one. In this article, you'll find some general guidelines on how to train your puppy in a natural and positive way, so that your connection becomes stronger.
* When training a puppy, patience and firmness are essential. Puppies are full of energy and vitality, and for them everything is a game. Brief sessions of 5-10 minutes are best because it is difficult for them to stay focused, given that they still have the entire world to discover.
* Motivation is a fundamental pillar when training your dog. Talk to him with affection, stroke him and give him rewards: this will make your puppy more receptive to the message you want to convey and he will associate training with something positive. It is important to train your puppy respecting his nature and his pace, so he learns in a natural and positive way.
* The key is to make the experience fun so that it's enjoyable for you and your puppy. You can teach him things as if they were a game. Your dog will be happy to receive so much attention and will try to please you. Additionally, training strengthens your bond, stimulates your dog's mind and encourages him to learn day by day, entertaining both of you.
* Simple words are easier to remember. Short words such as “stay” or “sit”, or gestures such as extending the hand are easier to absorb. Some dogs learn words better and others learn gestures more quickly. Every dog is different and you have to find out what works best for each of them.
* Dogs respond better to sweet and affectionate words than to shouting. A word can be used in a stronger tone when they make mistakes or behave badly, but screaming and punishing them can scare them and make them resist training.
* Teach one thing at a time. It's better to teach one thing first and then move on to the next thing, step by step. Patience is very important when learning how to train a puppy.
* When a dog is full of energy, he has difficulty concentrating. He wants to play and have fun. It's a good idea to start training after walking and playing, in a quiet place. Dogs are much more receptive this way.
As we have seen, training a puppy can be simple and very beneficial to living with your dog, since it strengthens your bond with him and can also be great fun. Patience, firmness and motivation are the fundamental pillars for good training.